Creating a .CSV with Subscriber Contact Information
- Create a new spreadsheet in a program such as Microsoft Excel or Numbers for Mac.
- In the A1 cell, write the word Destination.
- (Optional) If you would like to upload subscriber answers to questions, copy and paste the exact title of your first question (e.g. First Name) in the next cell (B1). Continue this process for each additional question. Your spreadsheet should look like this:
- Use column A to enter the email addresses and/or wireless phone numbers for your subscribers. Use the following formatting:
- For email: Email addresses must be complete with @ signs, and the correct appendage (i.e .com, .net, .org, etc.)
- For wireless numbers: Phone numbers must be in their ten-digit format (with area code), without any extra punctuation or country codes (i.e. the 1 in front of U.S. numbers etc.). The country code for wireless numbers is automatically added based on the setting for each individual account.
- (Optional) In the columns you designated with question titles, paste your subscribers’ answers to each question.
Note: Before you can upload a list of subscribers with questions, an Account Administrator must create these questions and assign them to the topic. If you include questions that have not been assigned to this topic, the upload will fail. For more information on assigning questions to a topic, please see Creating Questions.
- Save your spreadsheet as a Windows .CSV. This is required for proper uploading.
Note: When you save a .CSV file on a Mac, a warning will appear saying that some features of the workbook will not work or will be removed if you save in the Windows Comma Separated format. Communications Cloud will only recognize a Windows CSV file, so click Continue when this warning appears.
Uploading Your Subscriber .CSV File
- Log in to Communications Cloud to upload your subscribers and do one of the following:
Note: You can only upload subscribers to a category if the category's Allow Subscription setting is set to Yes.
- To add subscribers to a topic, click Topics in the left navigation menu, then click the topic to which you want to add your subscribers to.
- To add subscribers to a category, click Categories in the left navigation menu, then click the category to which you want to add your subscribers.
- On the right side of the screen, select Subscribers.
- Scroll to find the Upload subscriber list field. Browse for your file and select it from your computer.
- If you want this list to replace the existing subscriber list for this topic or category, set the Replace Subscriptions field to Yes.
- You might choose to do this if, for example, you're managing a topic you send to internal employees and want to replace your subscriber list with a current list of all employees.
- Any subscribers removed from the list when an administrator replaces subscriptions are NOT marked as deleted, and these subscribers will NOT be included in the Deleted Subscriber Report.
- Click Save.
The system will begin importing your subscriber list. When your subscribers have been successfully uploaded, you will receive a confirmation email from Granicus. Before you begin uploading another list, or the same subscriber list to another topic, be sure to wait until you receive this success message.
- When you upload subscribers, if your list includes any individuals who previously opted out of receiving emails from your organization by deleting their subscriber account or clicking the "Unsubscribe from all" link in a bulletin, those subscribers will not be uploaded. They can only be added to a topic or category after they have re-subscribed to at least one topic for your account.
- During the upload process, any duplicate email addresses or wireless phone numbers are removed.
Subscriber Upload Template
Below is a sample template you can use for uploading your subscribers. This template has sample columns and visual examples of the correct email and phone number formats.
Tip: If you want to use this sample as a starting point for building your organization's subscriber list to upload, make sure you delete the First Name, Last Name, and Zip Code columns or rename them to the Questions your organization uses. to this template if you wish and upload it to the system.
For Further Assistance
If you require further assistance to upload your list, you receive an error message, or you are attempting to upload a list that is larger than 100,000 subscribers, contact Support using the link at the bottom of this page, and one of our knowledgeable representatives can assist you in completing the upload. Be sure that you have a current list in the proper format to best allow us to help you with your upload.