Facebook can serve as a great resource to grow your digital outreach: there might be members of your community who engage with your organization on Facebook but aren’t aware that you have email or wireless subscription options available as well. With our Facebook Subscribe app, you can capture your Facebook audience and convert them to email or SMS subscribers. Once a user clicks the email updates app, they are directed to your Quick Subscribe page. You can see how the app works by viewing it on our GovDelivery Facebook page.
How it Looks to Subscribers
Your app will appear as a tab on your Facebook page and will enable subscribers to sign up. The sign-up flow looks the same as it normally does—it's just contained within your Facebook page.
Before creating your Facebook app, take the following steps to make sure your subscription process is ready for Facebook subscribers:
- Click your username in the upper right corner of the site.
- From the drop-down user menu, click Account Settings.
- In the right menu, click Snippets.
- Scroll down to the Post-Subscription Landing page field and make sure a URL is entered. If no URL is set, enter the address for the page you'd like subscribers to go to after signing up.
Tip: We recommend using your organization's homepage.
(The remaining steps are optional, but recommended.)
- In the left navigation menu, click Templates.
- Click Subscription Pages.
- In the Subscription Pages list, click Subscription Success.
- In the Body of this page, enter a message letting subscribers know they will be taken to your website when they click Finish.
- Preview your changes, and then click Save.
Creating Your Facebook App
To create your Facebook app:
- Click here to be taken to the Apps section of the Facebook Developers site.
- Click the Register Now button.
- Go through the process of registering as a developer. You'll need to accept a couple of Facebook policies in order to register.
- Once you've registered, you'll want to click the Create a New App option under the Apps drop-down menu at the top of your screen.
- Ignore the option to select a product, and instead click Settings on the left.
- Enter a Display Name and select a Category for your app. Both of these fields will be seen only internally by your organization, and they can be anything you select.
- Navigate to the Settings page from the left menu.
- In the App Domains field, enter public.govdelivery.com.
- Under Category, choose Apps for Pages.
- Add a 1024 x 1024 App Icon for your app.
- Click +Add Platform.
- Select Page Tab in the Select Platform dialog.
- In the Secure Page Tab URL field, enter the URL for your quick subscribe page.
Tip: This is the URL for the page you want to display for potential subscribers within your Facebook page. To find it, follow these steps:
- From within your Communications Cloud account, click Account Settings.
- Click Quick Subscribe Pages in the right menu.
- Click the Quick Subscribe Page you want to use and copy the contents of the URL field from that page.
- Make sure it starts with "https://" instead of "http://"; otherwise, this installation will not work correctly.
- In the Page Tab Name field, enter the public-facing title for your app, which will display on your organization's Facebook page.
Tip: Organizations often use a title such as "Get Email Updates!" or something similar.
- Click the logo under Page Tab Image and upload an image for your Facebook page tab. The required image dimensions are 111 x 74 pixels.
Tip: Here is a properly sized Granicus logo you can download for your app:
- Click Save Changes.
Adding the Facebook Subscribe Tab to Your Page
The next step is to install your new subscribe app to your organization's Facebook page.
- Find your App ID at the top of the App Settings page.
- Place that ID in the highlighted and bolded portion of following URL:
- In a new tab or browser window, go to the URL you created in the previous step.
- Under Facebook pages, select the page where you want to install the app, then click Add Page Tab.
Making Your Facebook App Public
- Return to the Apps section of the Facebook Developers site (where you created your app).
- From within your app pages, click App Review in the left menu.
- Move the slider at the top of the page to Yes to make your app public. You'll be asked to confirm this.