Facebook can serve as a great resource to grow your digital outreach, as there might be members of your community who engage with your organization on Facebook, but who aren’t aware that you have email or wireless subscription options available as well. With our Facebook Subscribe app, you can capture your Facebook audience and convert them to email or SMS subscribers. Once a user clicks on the email updates app, they are directed to your Quick Subscribe Page. You can see how the app works by viewing it on our GovDelivery Facebook page.
How it Looks to Subscribers
Your app will appear as a tab on your Facebook page and will allow subscribers to sign up. The sign-up flow looks the same as it normally does--it's just contained within your Facebook page.
Before creating your Facebook app, take the following steps to make sure your subscription process is ready for Facebook subscribers.
- Click your user name in the upper right corner of the site.
- From the drop-down user menu, click Account Settings.
- In the right menu, click Snippets.
- Scroll down to the Post-Subscription Landing page field and make sure a URL is entered. If no URL is set, enter a page where you'd like subscribers to go after signing up.
Tip: We recommend using your organization's homepage.
- (The remaining steps are recommended, but optional) In the left navigation menu, click Templates.
- In the Subscription Pages list, click Subscription Success.
- In the Body of this page, enter a message letting subscribers know they will be taken to your website when they click Finish.
- Preview your changes and then click Save.
Creating Your Facebook App
To create your Facebook app:
- Click here to be taken to the Apps section of the Facebook Developers site.
- Click on the Register Now button.
- Go through the process of registering as a developer. You'll need to accept a couple of Facebook policies in order to register.
- Once you have registered, you'll want to click on the Create a New App option under the Apps drop-down menu at the top of your screen.
- Choose the basic setup option.
- In the pop up dialogue, enter your Contact Email.
- Enter a Display Name and select a Category for your app. Both of these fields will only be seen internally by your organization, and can be anything you select.
- Click the Create App button to proceed.
Note: You may be presented with a security check so Facebook can verify you are a human being.
Entering Basic Values for Your App
Once you have created your app, you'll need to fill out some basic settings to have your app in working order and adding subscribers.
- Navigate to the Settings page in the left menu.
- In the App Domains field, enter public.govdelivery.com
- Click +Add Platform.
- Select Page Tab in the Select Platform dialog.
- In the Secure Page Tab URL field, enter the URL for your quick subscribe page.
Tip: This is the URL for the page you want to display for potential subscribers within your Facebook page. To find it:
- From within your Communications Cloud account, click Account Settings.
- Click Quick Subscribe Pages in the right menu.
- Click the Quick Subscribe Page you want to use and copy the URL field from that page.
- Make sure it starts with "https://" instead of "http:// or this install will not work correctly.
- In the Page Tab Name field, enter the public facing title for your app which will display on your organization's Facebook page.
Tip: Organizations often use a title like"Get Email Updates!" or something similar.
- Click the logo under Page Tab Image and upload an image for your Facebook page tab. The app dimensions are required to be 111 x 74 pixels.
Tip: Here is a properly sized Granicus logo you can download for your app:
- Click Save Changes.
Adding the Facebook Subscribe Tab to Your Page
The next step is to install your new subscribe app to your organization's Facebook page.
- Find your App ID, at the top of the App settings page.
- Place that ID in the highlighted and bolded portion of following URL:
- In a new tab or browser window, go to the URL you created in the previous step.
- Under Facebook pages select the page to install the app on, then click Add Page Tab.
Making Your Facebook App Public
- Return to the Apps section of the Facebook Developers site (where you created your app).
- From within your app pages, click App Review in the left menu.
- Move the slider at the top of the page to Yes to make your app public. You'll be asked to confirm making the app public.